The Meritorious Teaching Award in Herpetology
Presented by the Herpetology Education Committee
The Herpetology Education Committee (HEC) seeks nominations for the Meritorious Teaching Award in Herpetology to be presented at the 2018 Joint Meetings of Ichthyologists & Herpetologists in Rochester New York. Nominees must be current members of at least one of the sponsoring societies. Current Officers and Committee Chairs of ASIH, HL or SSAR, and members of the HEC are not eligible for nomination.
This award recognizes superior teaching and mentoring of students in the area of herpetology, and provides student members of ASIH, HL, and SSAR the opportunity to honor individuals who have made significant contributions to herpetological education. The award recipient will receive US $500, an official letter, and a plaque from the HEC.
Nominees should have a reputation among their peers and students for excellence in herpetological education, including, but not limited to:
- Demonstrated highly effective and innovative teaching in the classroom and/or other education settings (e.g., zoological parks, aquaria, museums, field stations, environmental centers).
- Superior mentoring of students in herpetology, as evidenced by student testimonials and placement of students in professional positions related to the field of herpetology.
The nomination packet (submitted as a single electronic PDF) should include the following:
- A nominating letter highlighting the nominee’s experience and accomplishments (limit 3 pages).
- Evidence in support of the nomination
- Letters of recommendation from two current or former students addressing the teaching and mentoring skills of the nominee.
- Letters of recommendation from two professional peers who are qualified to review the merits of the nominee with respect to teaching and mentoring skills.
Nominations will be accepted from current or former students of the nominee and must be received by the HEC Chair by 30 April for consideration. Incomplete nominations will not be reviewed.
Nominations will remain active for three years. After that, the nominee must wait six years before being eligible again.
Send electronic nomination files, including all letters, as a single PDF to:
Lynn Haugen, HEC Chair
Department of Natural Sciences
Western New Mexico University
PO Box 680
Silver City, NM 88062
Full details: 2018 Meritorious Teaching Award in Herpetology