SSAR strives to have the most current checklist of North American species names available by providing a fully searchable and accessible database. The contents are the work of the Standard English Names Committee, chaired by Adam Leaché. A PDF of the current 8th Ed (2017) is available.
SSAR North American Standard English Names Database
The SSAR CNDB is in stasis for now (Jan 2022). Check back for future updates.
Previous features included:
- Search by scientific or common name to retrieve taxonomic authority and notes.
- Search by clade, or alien (non-native to North America) status using Fuzzy, Loose or Exact search terms
- Tool tips (hover with cursor to reveal help notes)
- Results at a glance show alien species status and within species range (based on IP location)
- Links to images or detailed species accounts for reptiles and amphibians
- Download results as CSV or as formatted report in HTML (latest version)