The Committee on Standard English and Scientific Names (Brian Crother, Chair) has produced Herpetological Circulars available as a PDF or by order (older versions).
Current systematic research is reflected in the scientific and common names on this list. We strive to bring the most current version as produced by the taxonomic working groups, which you can access via the SSAR North American Standard English & Scientific Names Database.
Features of the SSAR Species Names Database:
- Search by scientific or common name to retrieve taxonomic authority and notes.
- Search by clade, or alien (non-native to North America) status using Fuzzy, Loose or Exact search terms
- Results at a glance show alien species status and within species range (based on IP location)
- Links to images or detailed species accounts for reptiles and amphibian
- Download results as CSV or formatted HTML
The 7th Ed (2012) is available to download for free.
5th Ed can be ordered through SSARBOOKS.com