The Committee on Standard English and Scientific Names (Brian Crother, Chair) has produced Herpetological Circulars available as a PDF or by order (older versions).
Current systematic research for US and Canada is reflected in the scientific and common names on this list. A PDF of the current 8th Ed (2017) is now available.
We strive to bring the most current version as produced by the taxonomic working groups, via the SSAR North American Standard English & Scientific Names Database.
Note that database updates are currently in progress.
Features of the SSAR Species Names Database:
- Search by scientific or common name to retrieve taxonomic authority and notes.
- Search by clade, or alien (non-native to North America) status using Fuzzy, Loose or Exact search terms
- Results at a glance show alien species status and within species range (based on IP location)
- Links to images or detailed species accounts for reptiles and amphibian
- Download results as CSV or formatted HTML
5th Ed can be ordered through SSARBOOKS.com